'No child left behind'

3rd Enigma

What do people think about this news regarding the 'No child left behind' bill?

Personally, the schools that want to be taken out of the loop are imbiciles and need to be taken out if the start complaining. That is because when I went through school I didn't even try and I got A's and B's throughout school.

Well, some people have a problem with the enforced standardized testing. They don't believe it's an accurate meaurement. Others have problems with the Adequate Yearly Progress, when the school gets punished if it doesn't improve scores year after year. If you have a bunch of special education students move into your district, this can put your district in an extremely rough situation (which happened in my district). Also, almost all of the teachers at my school are against the bill, which may or may not mean anything.

I see the detractions now, cheers. At least it's a step in the right direction, it just need not punish the school in such a suprisingly random way.

There is a Norwegian who came up with a super method of standardized testing. It involves looking at the core skills that make you a succesful person and not just core syllabus. So it looks at practical skills as well as mental, and a third I forget. I'll have to dig out the paper at some point and post it.

The thory is quite good, an child with acting ability could have terrible SAT results yet still be the most talanted person in the school by far with the most scope for success (if its properly identified). The test are designed to pick up as many of the diverse abilitys that a successfull person needs in specific areas of work.

Yes, that was another criticism that i forgot. I think the US NCLB test is all in the areas of math, reading, and science. That leaves out huge areas for possible talents. Then again, almost all standardized tests are like that in the US.

--A good criticism on the US education system-(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2001853018_marshak08.html)