Laying down the laws

goingtothedo

Rather a nice article by Paul Davies in this week's New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/ch.....ysics.html

Possibly the most extreme version of an anthropic theory I've encountered, but a lot of fun.

It revolves around a quantum effect such that a particle may have a "fuzzy" future, and by extension a "fuzzy" past. It extends that to the entire universe and then argues that because we are here to observe it, we are fixing the laws of the universe acquired at the beginning such that a universe suitable for life, and us, is the result.

Doubtless there are those of you out there far more able than I to comment intelligently on this.

Weird but intriguing.

So the universe came about so flies could find nutrients and create brood in horse manure? No, just playing, but it all does smack a bit of religion to me. Its purely philosophical to me overall, as in I don’t know how you would actually be able to test it in any possible way scientifically, pretty much like intelligent design. All you can do with it is take anything sciences discovers, any facts that is, and then say its because of this. Also, its pretty well known that the universe was going about well before human life existed.

To add on edit.

Its pretty selfish also, but it could probably tie into why the earth was the center of a very small universe at one point, its selfish genes I tell you! LoL.

teleology with out the teleology ; - )

It is not really an argument you can participate in with out placing it in the context of each of the other theories of comoslogical begginings. What is more difficult to believe in super levitating turtles or quantum fuzziness.

Its actually a very deep argument. I remain very skeptical, as anyone should that holds science in high regard, however to truely debate this material requires ALOT of logic string, and being willing to participate, many scientists and hobbiest are not willing to debate an anthropic topic (pun intended)

"The Cosmic Jackpot" is the book he lays all this out. Very interesting but well within the realm of philosphy due to the lack of experimental capabilities.