noise in sound

Comandante

Ever since I installed this new motherboard I've been having these small 'zaps' in sound when playing mp3s etc, very annoying noise. Sometimes it's not there, sometimes it is. I tried 2 different drivers and it didn't change much. Anyone got any ideas? ... It also appears to occur when cpu is in use, however cpu is dual core 3.2ghz, it shouldn't affect sound should it?

If you get these gaps and noise while nothing else is happening on the computer then it could be a sign of a driver issue. Also have you eliminated external interference, i.e. other nearby electronic gadgets, especially near the speakers?

Yes, I'm using onboard card. And I do get noise sometimes when nothing is happening but its hard to notice as there's no sound. But if I just play winamp for instance, a song, it just keeps zapping more often than not... As for interference, well, I have 6 channel surround sound, 3 speakers front, left and right, sub under the desk and two more rear left and right (however, the noise happens when using headphones too), and as for interference around those, well, there is router, modem, mobile phones, this is by the way CRT monitor I'm using.. and... that's about it as far as interference is concerned.

I have AC97 thing, very common, and VIA chipset if that helps at all to solve the issue? (my driver is dated 8/11/2006, version; 6.14.1.4170)

I had the exact some problem with an onboard sound card and a via chipset.

I ended up putting an audigy in and calling it a day.

If you don't have a backup stand alone sound card then I'm not sure what to suggest.

The headphones clue pretty much eliminates interference. It sounds like a failing part on the sound portion of the motherboard. You can shut it down in the CMOS settings, but there's no way to replace it short of replacing the whole motherboard.

hmmm I don't have any spare sound cards but I could come up with some. Though I can live with this some time more, sometimes after I restart pc it works ok for a while. This is by the way brand new motherboard, bought it few weeks ago. I have a feeling it's the driver, but I can't find a newer one. I tried older one and same again.

I don't have any audio cds :). It's all mp3 here. And the same thing happens in games, sometimes after a restart it works perfectly for a while, then, presumably after I do something (I don't know what), when I try again, noise shows up again. I played CoD just 5mins ago with no problems, but yesterday it zapped like crazy.

So it comes down to buying new part again...arggghhh

you really should test it with something that doesn`t pull on an MP3 codec first.

can`t you borrow a music CD off someone?

it`s best to narrow it down as much as you can before doing anything drastic :)

This is getting weirder. I tried an original audio disk that I found in an old box, and, the sound was clear. However I tried an mp3 immediately after that and it was clear again, while before I tried the audio disk it was noisy. :/

This looks like a driver issue or some kind of conflict with other device.. I can't isolate what the problem is yet, but it looks like it's repairable.

ok, I know it's not such a great way to solve problems but I was planning to do this for a while now. Since I have 2 hdd I didn't have to make any special partitioning, just one small boot partition on the large drive and then installed fresh windows on that. Changed boot priority to that and running from that now. Reinstalled all chipset drivers fresh too and I have no problems with sound anymore, so it was driver or some other software conflict. Perhaps it will show up again after I install my programs one by one. Anyhow, thanks for suggestions.