Copper Sulphite?

Orbital

Hi all, I wasn't sure if this post should go in the chemistry section or in the biology section so I decided to post it in both. Sorry if this is frowned upon. If so, maybe there should be a general science section :)

Anyway, I have had a lot of problems with roots growing into my sewage system at my place and backing my toilet up. The plummer told me that I should put some copper sulphite gems into the toilet as it would help kill the roots. I specifically asked him if it was definitely copper sulphite and not sulphate (as I can appreciate he is most likely not a chemist) and he said yes. He told me that I could get it from most garden centres. So I went to the garden centre and of course i asked for copper sulphite, to which I got the reply "copper sulphate, we did have some, oh here it is" (clearly not chemists). The packet said it was for improving the growth of plants and not, as I wanted, hindering them. We do have some old tablets for the toilet that are meant to supress root growth though, and these contained a small amount of copper sulfate. I am utterly confused. Please help :)

Your plumber must have been referring to copper sulfate, like you suspected.

Also, copper sulfate might improve the growth of plants in small (miniscule!) amounts, as copper is an important micronutrient. However, in high(er) concentrations (i.e. what you will be putting into your toilet pipes), it will kill the (unwanted) plants.

Your plumber must have been referring to copper sulfate, like you suspected.

Also, copper sulfate might improve the growth of plants in small (miniscule!) amounts, as copper is an important micronutrient. However, in high(er) concentrations (i.e. what you will be putting into your toilet pipes), it will kill the (unwanted) plants.

Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case but really wasn't sure. Cheers.