Computer science degree

mrac

Hi im doing my leaving in a few days (fun ) anyway im still not 100% on what i want to do next year, i have always had an interest in computers and computer science seemed like the logical choice for me but everyone that I have talked to about it had something negative to say. So im trying to see what the general feeling towards it is, so to anyone doing or has done comp sci my questions are:

is it a dificult degree? - id like to do something that is challenging and I havent heard great things (ie that cs is an easy degree etc)

is it a rewarding degree ? - do you enjoy it ?

are the jobs out there for cs grads as bad as everyone tells me, or as good as the uni's make out, or are they somewhere in between ?

ps thatks in advance

I'd like to give a nice detailed reply but I have my last exam tomorrow, so I'll just give you a short answer and elaborate later :)

I'm a little insulted at the calling of CS as an easy degree but I can understand it in some ways, not all degrees are equal, I wouldn't call it an easy degree by far but I would certainly say that there are degrees which are harder (such as physics or maths for instance). I'd say that this will mostly depend on the course and university at which you study, and on your own strengths and weaknesses (I don't think you can always say one degree is easier than another when the two require completely different types of thinking).

Computer science as a subject can be very rich, complex and rewarding topic, sneaking quite deeply into maths sometimes (a large portion of our computer science research lecturers are mathematicians and a lot of our modules are maths based modules), but it all depends on the course and more importantly what you try and get out of your degree. Often, just following the course and taking no interest in peripheral topics might be unrewarding (again depends on course, but this is fairly general for all subjects I'd say).

Perhaps if you suggest what you think Computer Science is likely to entail, what sort of student you are and so on, I/we can give you a better answer?