Losing his religion?

jadote

Anyone watching a speech by President Bush will notice the conspicuous references he makes to his religion and his God. He had ended his speeches with “God Bless America”, and he has often declared himself a ‘born again Christian’. He even told Palestinians that God told him to ‘attack’ Al-Qaida and to attack Iraq. And, Bush has consulted his faith in determining some of his principles such as Gay Rights or stem cell research. Yet in other areas, GW’s faith has seemed to have entirely left him. After the attacks of 9/11, Bush did not ‘Turn the other Cheek’ as commanded by his Lord. He took vengeance for himself, also a no-no with his savior. Bush’s speeches that supported the war against terror and Iraq and Afghanistan were filled with the hate he undoubtedly felt. Yet a principle of Christianity is ‘love thy enemy’ How can Bush, or for that matter, any politician, utilize this selective religion in forming his policies?

Well, Michael Jackson is not doing well in the popularity polls at the moment so George was looking for another popular celebrity figure to lend his case the public vote; and his scouts found that this 'god' fellow was very popular among the widest demographics.

It would be interesting to really know if Bush has the faith that he professes, and truly believes he is an agent of God. The only alternative is that he uses his religion as a ploy to garner more votes. I can't decide what would be worse for the US, but I would guess the first, since politicians are continually utilizing the second strategy (though not always in religion)

I don't think there's anything that makes me more mad than when Bush says God Bless America. What does this mean, that God shouldn't bless other countries? It almost sounds like Bush thinks that the American people are the chosen people. Well that's ridiculous. You wouldn't hear that anywhere else but here because other leaders have the common sense not to do that.

I'm more interested in the coincidence that both George Snr (Ex CIA Director and oil tycoon) and George Jnr (ex alcoholic and ex playboy) became president, both have substantial personal investments in overseas oil in Kuwait (and Enron, apparently) and both invaded Iraq. If that’s not an oligarchy I don't know what is.

And he looks like a monkey.

Sayonara, yes, but not to the same extent or in quite the same manner from what have seen on it. Generic references to God bless America are common, personal expressions of piety are common, but Bush has tied his religion to God having chosen him to serve at this time. He poses it that he is fulfilling God's will, essentially suggesting that his political actions are sanctified by God.

atinymonkey: George Snr didn't invade Iraq, he only threw them out of Kuwait. Still he would like to go into Iraq, but was afraid no one except the UK would support him in that.

Not that I don't think it is very suspicious that father and son can rule USA with only one president between them. And I still believe the Bush-clan fixed the election, though I'm not sure how much...

Sorry, I'm a bit like Monty Burns. I tend to refer to things as they were at the start of the 20th century.

Kuwait was part of Iraq that the UK split off when they found it had oil. It was part of Iraq since the dawn of civilisation, and I tend to refer to it as Iraq as a consequence of that.

It's not a very helpful thing to do really, but it's how it is in my crazy head. I still refer to Yugoslavia as that newfangled country of Tito's. Honestly, and it really confuses people!

Cheetah said in post # :

atinymonkey: George Snr didn't invade Iraq, he only threw them out of Kuwait. Still he would like to go into Iraq, but was afraid no one except the UK would support him in that.

Actually, if I recall corectly it wasn't a lack of support so much as direct threats by other mid-eastern countries against Israel if Bush invaded Iraq. I got that from a show on the History Channel I watched a long time ago though so no garuntees on its acuracy.

Oh and this is my first post here, so um... Hi. :D

Hi. Nice to meet you. Probably.

Your right, he even incited the Kurds to start an uprising to prepare the way for American troops. Then he backed off, leaving the Kurds somewhat red faced. With their own blood, obviously, as they were rounded up and shot.

That still dosn't excuse Taiwan tho.