important question

ben

i have a question im doing a science fair project on what melts ice the fastest im using the following substances:calcium chloride rock salt commercial ice melter and sand. I did the experiment and calcium chloride worked the best. but my question is if calcium chloride is the fastest substance that melts ice why dont people use it on their drive way???? please i need this for my science fair or i will fail =(.

plain and simply, the expense, it`s also hygroscopic (if attracts moisture from the air, making storage a problen).

it will also break down eventualy on the roads leaving rather nasty white patches of calcium salts (carbonates, sulphates) as well as killing nearby plant life (laws and trees).

hope that helps a little :)

yer more than welcome dude, also it costs money to produce, unlike ordinary salt that you just get from sea water and let the sunshine do the rest, calcium chloride doesn`t occur in large quantities naturaly, because it would pull misture from the air, become a puddle and just be absorbed :)

good luck with your project :)