Induced Coma?

chemhero

I was reading this article the other day:

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=19275&championship_id=2&section=1

which is regarding the condition of a motorcycle racer who suffered some really serious injury's in a practice session on saturday.

Anyway, the doctors put him into a coma - I was wondering why this was so, and what they would use to put someone in a coma? I've always thought that a coma would be best avoided?

Thanks,

Matt

there can be many reasons for putting someone in a coma. if its an induced coma then the patient can be brought out of it anytime the doctors want so its fine. its a real coma that they want to avoid.

anyway, the coma could be used so that he doesn't feel pain. this could either be because they can't pump enough drugs into him to deal with it or if they did put painkillers in, they'd likely kill him. or it could just be to control his body condition more until he is well enough for his brain to take over again.

heres some more info about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_coma

i know its wikipedia but if you don't like it then you can look at the reference links at the bottom.

Ah, ok. Thanks

It was something I've never come acorss before (and being a fan of motorsport - motorcycle racing in particular - I have come across alot of medical techniques!) so I was just interested. I guess, since the guy had facial fractures (one hell of a collision with the tyre wall I gather), he would have been in alot of pain and potentialy pressure on the brain and stuff?

Anyway, this has answered my question!

Matt