sucrose solution

lboogy

Hi everyone,

Is sucrose solution just water and sugar, or are there any other properties to it? Basicall I have to make it for some coursework, I've surfed around for the formula but can find it on the web, do I just mix water and sugar? How much?

thanks

it is just regular table (coffee) sugar in water yes.

as for "How Much" well it`s a soln, so it can be anything from a single molecule in a litre to a saturated soln whereby no more sugar will dissolve it in at a given temperature.

and everything in between :)

Ahhhh I see now, thanks for your help there mate. So, do you think if I was to test osmosis by potato skin in water - the variable being the amount of sugar, this would be classed as scientific? Or would this lack vigour?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey...just 1 more question - I promise! If I know I want 1molar of sucrose solution, how would I measure that on a weighing scale in grams? I've get that 1 molar is 6.02 x (10)23 formula units, but how do weigh that? I'm stuck!

What you are looking for is the "molarmass" - the mass of one mole of the compound. The molaramss of sucrose is 342.3 g/mol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

With som sugars you have to compensate for the moist when you scale it (glucose for example). But i think normally sucrose is pretty dry.

342.3 g (DRY) sucrose and dilute to 1 liter final volume with water.

/Fredrik

Hi Fredrik - thanks for your help,

so, just to confirm I have understood you correctly, 342.3g of dry normal table sugar mixed with enough water to equal a total of 1 liter will give me sucrose solution of 1M?