Chemical reaction with Benzene

dcowboys107

Benzene (C6H6) reacts with nitric acid. Two products are produced, one of which is water. The other product is an oily liquid which has molar mass of 213 g/mol. It contains 33.8% Carbon, 1.42% Hydrogen, 19.7% Nitrogen, and 45.08% Oxygen. Write a balanced equation complete with descriptive symbols for this reaction.

I converted each to moles so for carbon I got 2.816, Hydrogen 1.42, and Nitrogen, 1.407 and oxygen 2.8175. Then I divided by the smalles and expressed to a whole number ratio. So for each one respectively: Carbon 2, Hydrogen 1, Nitrogen 1 and Oxygen 2. So the supposed emperical forumula should be C2HNO2. The molar mass for the molecular formula is 213 g/mol I divided the molar mass of the empirical formula and divided into 213 and got 3.

My final answer turned out to be C6H3(NO2)3. I feel suspicous that this is incorrect. My equation is this: C6H6(l) + HNO3(Aq) ----> H2O(l) + C6H3(NO2)3.

What did I do wrong? please show me and if you wouldn't mind checking to see if my symbols are right, etc. Thanks!

it`s actualy a solid at room temp, like crystals with a yellow color.

it`s only slightly soluble in water, a bit like 2,4,6 Trinitrophenol, so you`de be lucky to get a gram dissolve in a liter of water.

as for a descriptive symbol, what do you mean?

it`s a simple Benzene ring with a Nitronium ion (O2N) at positions 1,3 and 5. there`s no other simple way to describe it :)