Macbeth?

ender7x77

This appears to be the most relevant forum so here I go... I have to do an Essay on Macbeth, which I'm struggling a lot with. Since this is a place of literature I feel that someone would be able to help me out, which I am in dire need of. The essay has to anwser the following: equivocation and explain gow it leads to Macbeth's downfall. Now, if anyone could confirm these following quotes as being relevant and thoughtful, please do so:

- "This supernatural soliciting Cannot be ill, cannot be good. If ill, Why hath it given me earnest of success… If good, why do I yield to that suggestion"

- "And oftentimes, to win us to our harm, The instruments of darkness tell us truths, Win us with honest trifles, to betray 's In deepest consequence"

- "To be thus is nothing; but to be safely thus"

- "False face must hide what the false heart doth know."

- "Duncan is in his grave; after life's fitful fever he sleeps well; treason has done his worst: nor steel, nor poison, malice domestic, foreign levy, nothing, can touch him further"

- "Methought I heard a voice cry, "Sleep no more! Macbeth does murder sleep,"

- "Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth"

- "I am in blood stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o'er."

- “Lesser than Macbeth and greater…Not as happy and happier"

- "Thou canst not say I did it: never shake thy gory locks at me”.

I only need a minimum of 6 quotes so anything that doesn't seem revelevant or thoughtful...please do tell me. A lot is riding on this essay.

THANKS!!!

PS - feel free to suggest any quotes.

Hi,

Just looking at the first three quotes this refers to before the murder so the decisions based here would cause what was to come later.

Reflections of guilt in the other quotes or what had past would not have bearing on future events.

Comfort from the false promise of immortality may have contributed to rash behaviour after the fact.

That is a general overview from my position but I am not an expert.

john

jck

Hi,

Just looking at the first three quotes this refers to before the murder so the decisions based here would cause what was to come later.

Reflections of guilt in the other quotes or what had past would not have bearing on future events.

Comfort from the false promise of immortality may have contributed to rash behaviour after the fact.

That is a general overview from my position but I am not an expert.

john

jck

Thanks...though your comment doesn't do me much good, it is nonetheless greatly appreciated that you took the time to try to anwser. I guess I worded it wrong because I understand the quotes placement in the play and acknowledge that they are thought provoking, but is it relevant to equivocation, which is what I am struggling with; I'm not really sure what constitutes for it? Anyways, thanks again.

Ender,

I extracted the consideration as far as which quotes led to his downfall.

All are thoughtful as that is the style of Shakespeares terminology.

Take the quote about Duncan: He is dead, nothing more can harm him for the treason has already murdered him.

Throughout history leaders are murdered and the one taking the crown does not suffer as a result of the crime.

The first quote concerns the predictions and this does play on his mind throughout.

My views are plain and simple and you seem to require more than that but perhaps others may respond soon.

john

jck

Thanks a lot man...here's what I got if your interested:

Ambition

"All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter"

- "This supernatural soliciting Cannot be ill, cannot be good. If ill, Why hath it given me earnest of success… If good, why do I yield to that suggestion"

- "And oftentimes, to win us to our harm, The instruments of darkness tell us truths, Win us with honest trifles, to betray 's In deepest consequence"

Internal Consequences

- "But wherefore could not I pronounce “Amen”? I had most need of blessing, and “Amen” stuck in my throat."

-"Duncan is in his grave; after life's fitful fever he sleeps well; treason has done his worst: nor steel, nor poison, malice domestic, foreign levy, nothing, can touch him further"

I picked those two not because they are equivocal lines, but have equivocal meanings. It was beneficial for Macbeth to kill King Duncan, but in another sense it was terrible because it brought upon an emotional illness as a result, and eventually leads to his death.?

- "Thou canst not say I did it: never shake thy gory locks at me”. I think this quote is really equivocal because not only does it have ambiguity but he is talking to the ghost of Banquo when it said.

FATE

- "Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill shall come against him." I think if i have to choose any of the apparations it would be this quote because it suggests that only at this moment will Macbeth be in danger. Due to harmatia, Macbeth takes the literal meaning of it, which is his downfall.

- "And be these juggling fiends no more believed, that palter with us in a double sense; that keep the word of promise to our ear, and break it to our hope." This further solidifies that Macbeth had undergone a downfall. He went from a noble Thane to to the polar opposite.

- "“Lesser than Macbeth and greater…Not as happy and happier" I think this quote would be best to sum up the last paragraph because it somewhat explains the predicament Macbeth had got himself into and was destined to be defeated.

Anyways, that is what i got. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. If you concur or disagree with any of these it would be great if commented, but i appreciate it nonetheless. Thanks!

The essay has to anwser the following: equivocation and explain gow it leads to Macbeth's downfall.
That doesn't make any sense. There is definitely missing something. I think the question must have been, before you attempted to type it:
[... something ...] [..is a prominent factor in the play (paraphrase of)...] equivocate and explain how it leads to Macbeth's downfall.
Could you clarify what the question actually was?

Anyways, although quote hoarding is useful (especially for exam preparation) it better practice to think of what you're trying to argue and then finding a quote to back it up rather than finding the quote and then an argument to wrap around it.

That doesn't make any sense. There is definitely missing something. I think the question must have been, before you attempted to type it:Could you clarify what the question actually was?

Anyways, although quote hoarding is useful (especially for exam preparation) it better practice to think of what you're trying to argue and then finding a quote to back it up rather than finding the quote and then an argument to wrap around it.

I know, I know. When I read what was to be ask for, I thought it didn't make much sense (that is actually all that is given), but I'm trying my best to write an essay. The question is how to explain that equivocation lead to Macbeth's downfall....if it helps you any I have decided that my thesis will be: by means of equivocation, Shakespeares portrayal of the tragic downfall of Macbeth is the result of his ambitions, predetermined fate, and internal consequences ensuing his malicious acts in hope of acquiring the status of King, which ultimately leads to his tragic end of power.