Exploding egg

Guest twistedlilrose

Guest twistedlilrose

Ok, So far only one person has believed me and I really want to know what happened so my mom will believe me. Yesterday night I was sitting in the office playing a game when I heard a loud "pop" like something had exploded. I got up took a look around and an Emu egg that has been sitting around our house for the last 6 years had explode a chunky white mess all over the place with out my touching it or even looking at it. I want to know why did it spontaneously explode?

well, I should imagine that if it hadn`t have been treated in some way then sure, it would have blown alot sooner. you`ll probably find it had been boiled 1`st and or impregnated with some sort of preservative agent, either in the boiling proccess or injected before boiling, if it was the latter there would have been a slow gas escape until such time as the hole became seald with gloop, presure builds and *POP* you have a nice little mess to clean up :)

I agree, It seems like that procedure was somewhat overlooked in this case tho :)

also you have to bear in mind that due to the shape of the egg and its near perfect uniformity, it can withstand tremendous amounts of pressure if applied to all surfaces equaly, it`s because of this that we shape our gas bottles along similar lines. if correctly ballanced an aligned it is actualy possible to walk over eggs without breaking them!

although the treatment prior with you egg would certainly have delayed the onset of decay, it would not have arrested it, even Cobalt 60 iradiation won`t stop it entirely, it`s quite conceivable to have had anything up to several 10`s of PSI inside the egg before it exploded, sorry, but I can`t help but smile while writing this and thinking about it :)

• 9 years later...

I have actually had this same sort of thing happen to me. Nobody was at my house for about a week or two and when I came home and was sitting by my computer playing games I heard a loud popping sound. I didn't see anything but smelled rotten eggs and I knew what was happening. This is actually still happening with the remaining eggs that haven't been picked up. lol *P0P*