Polystyrene

aommaster

The displayed formula if polystyrene looks very similar to a poly ethene molecule.

The only difference is that it has a ring of 6 carbons.

Here is the quiestion:

Are the carbons connected by double bonds? If not, then where is the 4th bond, as each carbon will only have 3 bonds connected to it

• 5 months later...

hmmmm.... is that the same meaning as it having a benzene ring? That is what my teacher told me when I asked him about it!

By the way, what is the chemical name for polystyrene?

and, what is meant by a net 1.5 bond?

Empirical chemical formula of (C8H8)n. You could call it something like (CH3CHPh)n too I spose, or draw the structural formula. I hate nomenclature.

The 1.5 bonds thing just refers to the way we normally represent carbon-carbon bonds; single, double, triple. In a benzene ring you can represent the carbons being bonded to each other by alternating double and single bonds. This isn't really accurate though. It's more like the electrons 'delocalise' and are free to move in a limited way, so that the double and single bonds are averaged out over the whole ring structure, giving a net of 1.5 bonds per carbon. This phenomenom is called resonance.

• 3 weeks later...

a "phenyl" group is a benzene ring bonded to something, but really a phenyl group is C6H5 and benzene is C6H6

the chemical name for polystyrene is polystyrene :)

If you want a more IUPAC-y name, maybe poly(ethenylbenzene)

or poly(vinyl benzene), but everyone knows it as good ole polystyrene