Ornithopter

Th3bozz

Good afternoon everyone,

I am in the process of making a micro ornithopter, and I need to calculate how big the wings have to be, and how much lift they will create.

(The Body at present weighs 25grams)

1. Is there a formula to calculate the wing area needed to lift a certain weight

2. Are there certain degrees the wing has to move through (whilst flapping) to create this?

I have a few more questions but these can wait for the moment

kind regards

Th3Bozz

• 2 months later...

A good friend of mine actually patented one of these as a toy (though it was larger than yours). He told me that a lot of it has to do with harmonics. I can guess that the smaller it is, the more it will have to rely on these things. Because a jet is so much larger compared to the size of an air molecule than your flying machine is, air particles and harmonics probably would have a lot more to do with it. (Just like how a water strider can stand on water tension but perhaps not rubbing alcohol, but a large boat can float on each.) So whatever dimentions needed might depend a lot more on the kind of air you're flying this on. I'm sure you already know this and I really can't give any actual values, so I'll take my leave... Sorry I can't give any really good help.