Quicky Quicky question....

ironizer

It might sould like a retarded question, but I'm just asking it to make sure:

If you have a cube magnet like this https://www.magnet4sale.com/xcart4/product.php?productid=16310&cat=287&page=1)=

and you get one of those and stick them both together, whould the field on the poles be 2 times stronger, i mean, would it have more pulling power?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

do you mean more power than one on it's own?

im thinking no.

it will be greater, but im not sure to what extent, the force applied by a magnet follows the inverse square law.

the force drops off fairly quickly with distance.

it will be like having a longer magnet, the force applied by the distant particles will be a lot less than the force applied by the the closer ones.

the distant particles will really only serve to align more of the closer particles, boosting the force. the force acually applied by the distant particles will be quite small.

with powerful such as those, there really arent many more particles to align.

i think you will have more effect sticking them together side by side, n-n, s-s

you'll probably need a two-part-epoxy along with a hefty set of clamps. that will double the force.

ok, let's say you have a 1" magnet, with a pulling force of 2lb

then you have the exact magnet, only it's cut in half, so you have 2x .5" pieces, each having 1lb pulling power (since they are half as long)

then, if you take the 2 .5" magnets and stick them together to make a 1" magnet, will it have the same power as the original 1" non-cut one, or will it be less?

when you put them back together, they will have the same force as the original,

but i think that the two halves will have just more than half the pulling power each. (i dont think a series configuration is that efficient)

i really think that the increase of power will be determined by power of the original, in a lower power magnet, there are more particles yet to be polarised so a series configuration will yeild more % increase than higher power magnets of the same shape and composition.