Upgrade pentiumII to PIII

cpwmatthews

these are my specs,

Mother board : QDI Brilliant 1

Chipset : Intel i4408x /zx (the 8 might be a B)

Bios : Award Software International Version 4.51 PG

Current CPU : Intel Pentium 350Mhz

FSB :100.2Mhz

Bus speed : 100.2 Mhz

I have just bought a PIII 933Mhz CPU from Ebay, I thought i could just replace the old one with the new into the slot1 place, but after install the machine only boots as far as the QDI screen then stops, People have suggested there are 'Jumpers@ that i need to change and the Bios, but on boot i get no option to enter the bios at the moment, any help please,

hey, let me know how you get on with this!

I also use a pII 350, and wouldn`t mind an upgrade, I had no idea a p3 would actualy FIT physicaly as the p2 is more of a cartridge type card.

the one snag you MAY hit (I found this with mine) is that if you put in a 512mb mem card only 256 of it will register as the address lines aren`t enough (it needs another one).

I, Like yourself, would like to hear the outcome of this :)

Good luck with it dude!

I've had some feedback from another source and they are saying that the FSB would probably not accommodate the PIII as it needs a bus of 133Mhz and not the supported 100Mhz. Are there jumpers on the motherboard that will increase the FSB?

No you cannot just increase your FSB by changing some jumpers.

You're dealing with old components from a time when standardisation was significantaly less than it is now. Whilst now if it physically fits it usually works this was not the case 5 or 10 years ago, and that's about how old processor and motherboard are (or older - and it's all aprox anyway!) but you get the idea.