Problem due to Ash

noty

I ignited a planty material in a porcelain dish at 900ºC, to see its ash content, but i saw some rection took place between the dish and material(which is of vegetable origin). Can anyone help me in knowing what could be the material that has reacted and how to remove that material from the dish, so as to analyse it further, and also how to clean my porcelain dish.

Hi,

Can you be more descriptive about what you saw? I've never seen porcelain react with anything I mixed in it so thats quite odd (at least in my experience). Are you sure it isn't residue from the combustion? On some surfaces it can be quite difficult to get charcoal out. Also, the material you burned being of vegetable orgin probably means its a hydrocarbon of some sort. If you give us more info on what you did mabe someone can find out what happened.

At 400 degrees C, all organic matter burns off. The only thing left at 900 C would be inorganic. From my experience, I have seen phosphate glass formed, and other glasses or high fired oxides form. This residue is generally quite small compared to the initial weight.