HELP!!! Problems with my Inverter

zking786

Okay, so I've been designing an inverter. I've purchased all the components and designed the circuit as specified by this website http://www.i4at.org/lib2/inverter.htm

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Possibly for these reasons:

1. Initially, I mixed up the base and collector of the NPN transistor (2N3005)in the circuit and ran it. I didn't hear any popping and didn't get any voltage out of the converter. Though, at the beginning I got about 8V from one of the terminals and the center tap. Maybe this blew the transistor?

2. I mistakely broke off one of the terminals of the transistor and had to resolder it on. Thus, I might have overheated the terminal and transistor.

3. The tantalum capacitor was soldered to the breadboard (since it was moving around) and might have overheated and burned out? Or maybe my switching the transistor's two terminals blew it?

Any idea which of these actually happened? What could have gone wrong? How can I fix it? I know the circuit was constructed as specified by the inverter circuit. Please help!!!

a base / collector mistake, you`ve Blown IT!

no 2 ways about it or second chances, the transistors toast! :(

(although How you can "mistake" the collector on a 2n3055 beats me as it`s the actual Metal case istelf!)

also if you snap a lead off those type of tran chassis, throw it in the bin, repairs are futile also.

Thanks YT2095.

I mistaked the connectors because I'm a beginner :). See, the guy I bought the part from told me the case is the base NOT the collector. I guess that explains why I got a small amount of voltage at the beginning.

Also, about the wires I'm using in the circuit -- how thick must they be? I've used really thick wire for the mains (in and out), but thin wire for the interconnections. Is this ok? How thick in diameter do you think is safe. Also, the wires must impose some resistance to the circuit. Won't these throw off the conversion?

YT2095, you seem to know what you're doing :).

Perhaps you could explain, in basic terms, how this circuit works. I'm completely confused!

Also, I forgot to ask, could the tantalum capacitors be blown also? I hear they're supposed to be able to handle higher temperatures.

Lastly, when I was buying the diodes they sold me FR155 diodes, saying they're the same as HEP 154. Is this correct? I'm starting to doubt everything these guys told me!

well when he said Base he probably meant the Physical base, Not the base as in ECB :)

as for the wires you`ll need the thickest wire on the circuit side as that employs the most current, the mains side you can use ordinary mains wire, beleive me, there will be nothing extraordinary coming out of your transformer (if it`s the correct one) :)

YT2095, you seem to know what you're doing :).

Perhaps you could explain, in basic terms, how this circuit works. I'm completely confused!

Also, I forgot to ask, could the tantalum capacitors be blown also? I hear they're supposed to be able to handle higher temperatures.

Lastly, when I was buying the diodes they sold me FR155 diodes, saying they're the same as HEP 154. Is this correct? I'm starting to doubt everything these guys told me!

To add to the above list of questions:

Which ends of the circuit draws the most current? I'd assume I'll need thick wire for the part that connects to the battery. After that, when will I be able to use thin wire in the circuit?