Diode Compatibility

zking786

As you must know from my other thread on inverters, I'm trying to build one. I'm having difficulty in finding all the parts, though. Using the simplest inversion circuit I found (http://www.i4at.org/lib2/inverter.htm), I have purchased all the supplied I need except the silicon diode of model HEP 154. I've checked all local stores and none seem to have the exact part. I've been told 1N4004 is can replace this part and should work by some. Others have said 1N4007 is needed. Due to my inexperience, I'm not sure what to get. I want the circuit to work well, but can't find the right part. From my understanding, the purpose of these diodes in the above-linked circuit is to direct current one way. I don't see how using a rectifier diode which can handle a really high current (above the required 15A) can hurt anything. Can someone confirm or reject this notion?

basicly you`ve got an astable multivibrator center tapped in a Push/Pull arangement, a pair of Stud diodes will do, if you like, PM with your address, as I have a bag full of ex-military BYX61400 stud diodes, you`de be welcome to a couple of them if you want.

also non of the 1N400x series or the 1N540x are going to be suitable for your application.

they won`t work because they lack the current handling ratings.

stud diodes look like a Bolt, they mount directly to a metal plate (keeps them cool) and can handle large amounts of current for a small size. they Are silicon based also, but designed to take more power.

the ones I mentioned before are 61 amp at 400v (PIV), and aren`t much bigger than the eraser on the end of a pencil :)

there`s no way of knowing without the technical specs of the hep154.

I will say that the FR155 looks to be very Under rated for this circuit though, as it`ll only handle 1.5 amps and Not the 15 amps that you sugested, so unless you use 10 of them in parallel it`ll not work :)

edit: after doing a little research for you, you may find this interesting; http://www.chipdocs.com/datasheets/datasheet-pdf/TEL/1N5826.html

not only are they 15A rated, but they`re also the Stud type diodes I mentioned before :)