Al(s) + Cl2(g) -> AlCl3(s)

rakuenso

anyone know the Ea required for this rxn?

also' date=' i'm not sure if the chlorine gas i get from bleach + vinegar will be enough for this rxn[/quote']

The full reaction is:

[ce]2Al + 3Cl2 -> 2AlCl3[/ce]

Any chlorine will work just be shure to take security precautions and avoid inhailing the stuff.

Also be warned that aluminium chloride does not react well to being exposed to water and is corrosive.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Chlorine from vinegar and bleach is not suitable. It will be too dilute. When you mix bleach and vinegar, then there certainly will be a strong smell of chlorine, but you don't get bubbles of chlorine gas.

You need to make a stream of chlorine gas, which you collect in a separate DRY vessel. When you have this dry vessel, ful of chlorine gas, then throw in some Al-foil, heated, but not burnt. It will react violently in the chlorine gas to form anhydrous AlCl3. The anhydrous AlCl3 reacts violently with water. Chlorine gas is VERY toxic and you have to be really careful not to breathe the gas.

If you want hydrated AlCl3, then you can use alum, which you dissolve in water. Add a small amount of NaOH, such that a precipitate of Al(OH)3 is formed. This is filtered and then some dilute HCl is added, until the precipitate just dissolves. Then slowly let the water evaporate and crystals of AlCl3.6H2O are obtained. This is a much safer experiment than making AlCl3 from aluminium metal and chlorine gas.

hmm too dilute?

how about ammonia and bleach? will that increase the conc. at all?

I'm not sure how to obtain concentrated Cl2 in a SAFE manner. Ugh... ran out of lye :(

IIRC, ammonia and bleach will make chloramine gas, not chlorine gas.

hmm too dilute?

how about ammonia and bleach? will that increase the conc. at all?

I'm not sure how to obtain concentrated Cl2 in a SAFE manner. Ugh... ran out of lye :(

Indeed, ammonia + bleach gives chloramine. Under certain conditions it can also make hydrazine. Chloramine is a known carcinogen, hydrazine is a known animal carcinogen, probably it is for humans as well.

Ran out of lye :confused: ????? With lye you definitely cannot make chlorine gas!

If you do not understand such basic things, then I think it is better that you do not make chlorine gas at all. That stuff is not a toy for people who do not understand the basics of chemistry.

Try the experiment for making hydrated AlCl3 with alum. That is a LOT safer. However, AlCl3.6H2O cannot be transformed to AlCl3 by heating. It looses HCl on heating and Al2O3 remains behind.

BTW, what do you want with the AlCl3? Use it in some organic chemistry synthesis?