Help with 5.1 speakers

ski_power

I'm planning to buy a 5.1 channel creative inspire speakers.

On closer inspection I found out that there is only one mini phone jack that goes out of the sub into the PC. This means that this is the Digital In plug.

Now, I've performed the SPDIF hack on my Xbox. Now I wish to connect the speaker set to my xbox. Is it possible?

I've got reasons that support my view point that this should work:

1. The input mini jack in the Sub-Woofer has two terminals.

2. An SPDIF also has two terminals in the RCA plug.

Now, is the SPDIF Digital Out same as the Digital In in the 5.1 surround sound system, i.e. if I make an RCA to minijack convertor will I get 5.1 sound?

I'll make a weak attempt at this....

I'm somewhat knowledgeable about "regular" home theatre but know next to nothing about xbox and PC home theatre.

On the back of the x-box you should have either an "optical" or "digital coaxial" output. I believe these are the only two outputs which are able to carry a 5.1 signal.

Thus, you will need to connect either of these outputs (preferably the optical) to a deice which an interpret the 5.1 signal, and then pass it along to the speakers.

In the case of home theatre, you simply connect the optical output from a DVD player to the optical input on a 5.1 receiver. In essence, whatever is powering the speakers, will need to be able to decode the 5.1 signal from the xbox.

Probably not much help.......