More Algebra

Why is algebra so difficult? Other students in my class seem to have far less difficulty with it then I do and other math subjects are so much easier in comparison. I have trouble remembering all the theorems relating properties between definitions. I can't visualize anything, and I do practice alot. If I don't look at it for one week I already forget all kinds of stuff, while I can remember most things from other topics easily. I can follow the proofs in the book, but mostly by checking the logic, I can't see (and thus don't understand) the significance or the consequences of what has been proved.

Any tips on how to make my algebra-life easier is greatly appreciated.

I want to prove the following: If F is a field and the element 'a' transcendental over F, then the algebraic closure of F in F(a) is equal to F.

Not sure where to start. The algebraic closure of F in F(a) is {x in F(a)|x algebraic over F}. Every element of F is ofcourse an element of F(a).

So take an x in F(a) which is algebraic over F. I want to show it is an element of F. So I guess I could show x has an inverse? And I probably have to use that F(a) is isomorphic to F(X) (field of rational functions over F).

But I don't see how it all comes together.

Thanks for any help.

Just consider the minimal polys. write out the definitions, if something has a poly in F[a] with certain properties then it has one in F too since 'a' is transcendental.

and it's hard exactly because you need to memorize lots of definitions; but this makes the theorems harder to state and thus easier to prove.

if something has a poly in F[a] with certain properties then it has one in F too since 'a' is transcendental.

Well' date=' that's one of those things I don't see.

So do I look at the minimum polynomial of x over F? If F is equal to its alg. closure, then it means F is already alg. closed, right? So I can show that every nonconstant poly. in F[X']=F[a] has a root in F, or that every poly. in F[X] can be written as a product of linear factors.

But if you've got something in the alg. closure of the small field satisfying an irred poly with coefficients somehow involving the a's, then you've gotten swapping roles over a poly that a satsifies over the small field, contradicting the fact that a is transcendental.

I think I see. So what you're saying is that if x=sum c_i a^i in F(a) is algebraic over F, then there should a polynomial f=sum d_j X^j with x as a root. And plugging in f(x) would give a polynomial with 'a' as a root, contradicting its transcendentalness.

That makes sense, thanks a lot!

Well, I worked out the details and it looks good. Unless x is in F you will have a polynomial with a as a root. In retrospect the problems are usually not that difficult, but you only find that out afterwards :/

Guess I just have to practice and play with these concepts more.