Standard Robotics Lab

EverCurious

I will need to set up a minimalistic Robotics Lab, for about a year and a half or research/development of a complex automaton. Can anyone list the items I should invest in, or give me an estimate of the net cost?

It will be much more a machine than a conventional robot, by that I mean that it will stay stationary and run processes, such as calculations, and dilations, and decantations, and seperation of earth materials.

I'm guessing I'll need a powerful computer, does that mean I should invest in dual-core?

Let's pretend money isn't an issue.

You are probably going to need servo motors(for moving parts)

A good aquisition would be a PLC with a processor and a few I/O boards, a Allen Bradley is a decent brand. I don't believe these run over 1000$, but I have never paid the bills for these things so I can't be sure =)

you'll also need input sensors, these I can't help you with since the exactity of the workcell isn't described. If you're seperating "earth materials" i suppose you are going to be looking @ a vision system for identification.

The best advice I have is to break down every process into as simple as it can be. Break down everything by what you have, and what needs to be done in as basic a sense of the work you can get.