Few questions I got from reading health journal

grayfalcon89

Hey...

I was reading the health journal that I received in past (I got them couple months ago but didn't read them till today:D ) and faced on these three questions that were classroom type. First, "Exposure to PASSIVE smoke can cause the same kinds of health problems that smokers may experience." I wasn't techincally sure about "PASSIVE" but I don't think this is a proper word. Maybe the correct word will be "secondhand"? In the next page, there was a chart with the list of couple famous carcinogens which are supposed to cause cancers. But one description does not sound right. "CARCINOGENS in cigaratte smoke pass into the blood and combine with hemoglobin, preventing red blood cells from carrying oxygen." Okay, I know that carcinogens cause cancer and act as stimulant but I thought CARBON MONOXIDE was the one that interferred you from breathing. Am I wrong or the journal is wrong? This is interesting.. Last, smoking increases blood pressure, which leads to an increased risk of STROKE. Hmm... I remember hearing that smoke increases your heart rate.. Indeed.. I'm not so much familiar with the term "stroke" so is this "increased risk of "stroke"" same as the increased heart rate..?

Thanks for your help. It's fun to read these journals but I always want to see if I can point out any "incorrect-looking" informations. :rolleyes:

Passive can only mean secondhand in this context.

Carcinogen is indeed defined as anything that causes cancer, so this is an odd sentence, although not necessarily a false one. The same things which cause cancer might also combine with hemoglobin.

A stoke is an interruption of blood flow to some part of the brain, caused by either a blocked or a ruptured blood vessel. It causes brain damage and is very often fatal, in fact being the third leading cause of death in the United States.