Multiple dimensions of space

jackonaut

I often hear that deep in space, there are areas with dimensions exceeding our wimpy 3. I've read that there may be up to 26 dimensions. I know the basics of 4 dimensional space (ie. hypercubes), but 26? If this is true, where would these area be, and how would one be able to prove that such dimensions exist?

Could you refine your question, or show some mathematical evidence that in fact these dimensions exist in our space? Actually could you link me to the website you read this at, because either you've accidently missed something, or it's going to take A VERY VERY VERY LONG post to explain. :P

The reason partially is that so many theories exist that each theory has a different explanation. That's why I love advanced mathematics and sciences...it reaches a point where even a high school student could show a college professor wrong, and its rapid evolving nature that means that its possible to make discoveries right inside your own room.

I'll attempt to refine this, but it can be difficult to put into words. We live in 3 dimensional space (X, Y, Z). All are perpendicular to each other. There is the idea of 4 Dimensional space, which can be explained fairly clearly through the hypercube. I've read (from sources that I can no longer find) that areas in space can have up to 26 dimensions, meaning 26 perpendicular points, which would be impossible for us to visually comprehend.

My question is, since it generally accepted that these multi-dimensional areas of space exist, where would they be? and how can this be proven? Please let me know if I'm incorrect in the way I'm seeing this, because that is pretty likely.