Nuclear Energy/Energy Experiment

ledzeppelin3

One thing to also remember is that a Geiger counter may go crazy and start crackling like crazy, but a Geiger counter only detects a decay event and not the strength of the event. If you have a sample that is decaying rapidly but giving off low energy emissions it is much less dangerous than a sample that decays a bit slower but emits higher energy radiation. The Geiger counter may make something seem like it is really "hot" and "dangerous", but in reality the energy being given off is incredibly small.

I recently came upon this website which is the first site I've ever seen that breaks down a samples radioactive decay by the energy level of the associated decay. I had always heard of Uranium-238 decaying and giving off alpha and gamma rays with a decay energy of 4.xx MeV which is a pretty damned high number. I did NOT know, however, that the gamma energy given off by the decay is amazingly low. The alpha particles have the high energy and the gamma rays given off are pretty low in energy. I must say that DV8 2XL is correct in that the leaded casing is a bit of overkill for the storage of a depleted uranium sample. :D

*chuckles*

You can order small samples of uranium ore online. That will get the geiger counter hopping. You can also buy a container of potassium chloride "salt substitute" from the supermarket. That is also mildly radioactive. Remember, just making a geiger counter jump is easy--explaining why it is jumping is the hard part, and that is what is going to get you the grade.

How about researching radiometric dating? It's an interesting topic, in my opinion, and since it isn't as "sexy" as other topics--fission reactors and such--it would probably be a pleasant surprise for your instructor. It's especially nice because it is generally non-political.

-Caver

How about researching radiometric dating? It's an interesting topic, in my opinion, and since it isn't as "sexy" as other topics--fission reactors and such--it would probably be a pleasant surprise for your instructor. It's especially nice because it is generally non-political.Caver

I don't know about the non-political part. In some parochial schools it would be waving a red cape. The Earths only ~6000 yrs. old for some people - and they are not partial to evidence to the contrary. ;)

Found this on homemade cloud chambers. If you can't get hold of a GC you might want to try this.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?SID=mail&articleID=0005C4AD-1E94-1C71-84A9809EC588EF21

He claims it costs less than $30 to put together.

Or the so-called diffusion cloud chambers which require little more than dry ice and isopropyl alcohol. Cheaper and easier than the above.