C or C++? Which do you choose?

Adrian

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Syntax

Well C++ is known to be bad for kernel programming, plain C is what I've mostly seen. I think Linus Torvalds posted something about the cons of programming the kernel with C++.

Linus Torvalds is somewhat of a dweeb. I've written a small x86 kernel in C++, and I think it's a very suitable language. The only disadvantage of using C++ in a kernel as opposed to in user-level is the lack of runtime type information in the lowest parts, which makes using virtual functions and the like impossible. There's no reason why you can't add RTTI in those layers, though, and use virtual functions all you like in the layers above.

Note that I'm not a very big fan of C++; in fact, I dislike it very enthusiastically. I'd choose C over it any day, but then again, kernel programming is the only realm where C/C++ is viable, so it doesn't matter much.

• 1 month later...
Guest shocker147

I had to program in C for years before we could program in C++. I just appreciate how C++ can make many things easier for the programmer compared to C.