Stem Cell Differentiation

jowrose

I was just wondering if anyone knew how stem cells are differentiated from their embryonic form into the specialized cells needed to cure disease. Is this done genetically, or do the cells automatically transform into the type of cells that they are surrounded by (i.e. one could place stem cells on a destroyed nerve ending and the cells would naturally become new nerve cells)? Or does it have something to do with the protein markers on the outside of the cell?

Any reputable sources that deal with this procedure would be nice, and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

It's usually done in the context of neighboring cell types (eg, via integrin stimulation of signal transduction pathways) or by hormones/cytokines. I differentiate mouse stem cells into dendritic cells using a cytokine called GM-CSF (granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor).

• 2 weeks later...