Universal expansion versus intergalatic travel.

the tree

note: don't expect to find any science in here.

As the galaxies are moving apart, intergalatic travel is becoming harder everyday.

From my understanding, the universal expansion is accellerating. Of course so are our space ships. Now if the universe is accellerating faster than our space ships, then we'll never catch up but if our space ships are getting faster, faster then we might.

What do you think?

Elas: this doesn't really have much to do with the speed of light except that its the speed limit which, i'm sure, the tree already knows.

the tree: your thinking seems to be finesince obviously if your not going faster than something then you can never catch up with it. towork out the rate of acceleration required you need to use a differential equation if for your ships acceleration you get an imaginary number, you will never reach it. if it is 0 it will take you an infinity to reach it.

Acceleration and expansion should be considered separately. 'True' speed is acceleration plus expansion, but I put 'true in italics because it is still relative, In practice there is no stationary reference point.