Perl/Javascript, and FAO Sayonara

JaKiri

I shortly will have the option of taking a quite highly paying job in the North East, and this involves knowing one or the other of Perl and Javascript.

Unfortunately, I know neither.

Here is where YOU! come in.

Resources for the above if you would be so kind folks, and wrt Sayonara, any book type suggestions.

Also in regard to sayonara, once I learn every programming language under the sun, would you like some help with AW, or is it just a leeds posse exclusive thing? :P

u r so right Kedas. i do a bit of programming in VB in my spare time. i have heard people say my programming style is quite unique. To MrL_JaKiri isn't programming the sorta thing that takes years to master... thats how its been in my expirience, how long have u got to learn these languages?

Javascript would be easier, but Perl probably more useful.

If you are going to learn JavaScript, the Wrox books are quite good. I haven't read any for Pearl but LuTze may have done.

I'm not sure what will happen to AW during R1 (codewise), but if there's anything to be done I'll let you know.

R1 is going to be an extended beta as you know, but we pretty much have all the code sorted (it's just a matter of getting it all up and working now).

how does programming work? To me its one of the mystical phenomenons i hear of and know nothing about. What is you unique style? I envey your magical programming powers. Where do i start the path (i posted a thread on this once before and some people said the first step is to use linux, since its more stable and is open source) So how much does linux cost for a personal PC (i've seen some versions of it cost thousands but i am hoping this just for buisness applications) I might as well get it off Kazaa, but if it really is an expensive product (got the concept it was cheaper than windows, but haven't found a download for it or what the prices are) i dont know if i'd feel right stealing that much software.

changing operating system because you want to learn how to program is a bit drastic. Learning to work with/in Linux is already an learning experience on its own.

You can later always change to linux (or add Linux) when YOU know why you want to change to Linux.http://www.suse.com/ (55Euro)

BTW which language do you prefer or doesn't that matter for you?

but i linux is a more stable system that gives you more control over your computer ---- wouldn't such freedoms be ideal for computer mastery? That is why i want to change. Like i said i know NOTHING about programming. I've heard the names of a few languages, but i've never used any so i don't know what i prefer. Once i downloaded java, and it like didn't work or something so i deleted it.

although that the different Linux distributions are a lot friendlier than in the past you still need to know/understand what you are doing.

Just pick a book about programming for beginners and start from there.

now there is no need to change anything on your computer.

Yes it's more stable but do you really think that will help you understand programming ?

Yes you have more freedom but you have no clue about what those are so how will you take advantage of that?

basically when you understand why you prefer Linux above windows then you should try Linux but not before.

Trust me, starting to learn programming in windows instead of Linux isn't gone give you a disadvantage.

ok i'll get some books, but i don't think it will be that hard to learn a new system. So i looked at some linux versions on Amazon, looks like Red Hat or Mandrake Powerpack would be the coolest (well suse looks good for gaming, but thats not what i'm looking for right now) Actually i think mandrake looks the best, but redhat says its "the ideal OS for home computing and technology enthusiasts" why is this? It looks like mandrake has lots better stuff. Some of the versions say 'no OS' what does that mean? (says this about suse, but not mandrake) I know that means no operating system, but what does that mean? Linux IS an operating system.

here is something you should read:

http://www.linux.org/dist/download_info.html

I still think you should be motivated to change to Linux AND learn to program as two seperate things.

"the ideal OS for home computing and technology enthusiasts"

because they want ot sell their product.

about 'No OS' I'm not sure but I think it's just a bunch of software to use on an operating system.

Javascript VS Perl

Ok, I have experience in both, both self taught. I found javascript easier to learn, but it might be more releavent to learn perl if you know actionscript and have experience in flash. Check out my website http://omegmp.com i used javascript to do that, and i have created external files in javascript to make it load faster and making it easier to uptdate. Then again perl is good but php can do similar things to perl so if you need to do server side stuff i would say to learn php, which can be learned at php.net and javascript(first language i learned) which i used an oreily book to learn 800 pages or so but mostly reference.