Ungulate-Cetacea Connection

Given that whales, dolphins and porpuses (porpii?) descended from a common hippo-like mammal, we should have fossil remains of mammals from the transitional phase (phase meaning millions of years).

In other words, we should have fossil remains of mammals that look more like an ungulate, but through DNA recombination also have some distinctly cetacean features. I am sure we must have some fossils similar to this in order to make the link.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of such fossil remains, I would really like to see something that like.

Joe

Well, the actual ancestors are ungulates, but not even remotely hippo-like; they were carnivorous ungulates (some reaching great size and ferocity) called the mesonychids.

Google "whale" plus any of the following: "mesonychid" "pakicetus" "ambulocetus" "rhodocetus" "transitional"

We have, last I recall, about a dozen species illustrating every step of the transition.

Mokele