Saturated Solution

Primarygun

Can a spoonful of sugar dissolve into a saturated solution of salt?

Though this question consists of several words only' date=' I couldn't figure it out.[/quote']

It depends on the soluability of the sugar relative to that of the salt. If the sugar is more soluable then yes it will dissolve otherwise it will not - try it and find out :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Just a quick question, although it may be highly unlikely:

Supposing you have a substance that has exactly the same solubility of salt and you have that saturated salt solution. If the substance was added to the solution, would the subtance dissolve?

I think that it won't, but I'm not sure!

Just a quick question' date=' although it may be highly unlikely:

Supposing you have a substance that has [i']exactly[/i] the same solubility of salt and you have that saturated salt solution. If the substance was added to the solution, would the subtance dissolve?

I think that it won't, but I'm not sure!

No, I don't think it would - if you think about it makes perfect sence!

If something is saturated in solution then no more of that substance cna dissolve (No more of that substance with that particular solubility rating anyway.) so, if you have another compound it will not dissolve because it has the same solubility and because the solvant is already saturated at that solubility level :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

actualy if you Heat it, then the sugar will stay in soln up until Treacle/Honey consistancy, Sugar is strange like that, it`s not actualy "Soluble" per se, as in you can add a drop of water to a teaspoon of sugar, heat and melt it, and end with a syrup and no Crystals, it`s a bit like glass in that respect, it`s Amorphous. however you will get some salt drop out of soln when it cools :)

actualy if you Heat it, then the sugar will stay in soln up until Treacle/Honey consistancy, Sugar is strange like that, it`s not actualy "Soluble" per se, as in you can add a drop of water to a teaspoon of sugar, heat and melt it, and end with a syrup and no Crystals, it`s a bit like glass in that respect, it`s Amorphous. however you will get some salt drop out of soln when it cools :)

Well, that shure explains honey good :D

Do salt and sugar do have different solubility levels then? Do you happen to know which is more soluable?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

salt (NaCl) has a finite solubility at a given temp, sugar on the other hand does not, it isn`t Ionic like salt is.

water is soluble in Sugar may be an easier (but badly worded) way to put it.

things change when the dissolving is done and maintained at a certain temp though, THEN you can grow sugar crystals (sometimes quite large ones), but when taken above the MP of Sugar then things get a little tricky :)

No' date=' I don't think it would - if you think about it makes perfect sence!

If something is saturated in solution then no more of that substance cna dissolve (No more of that substance with that particular solubility rating anyway.) so, if you have another compound it will not dissolve because it has the same solubility and because the solvant is already saturated at that solubility level :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

That's not quite right; think of equilbrium. A saturated solution of salt does not have some chloride and some sodium in solution, and, for example, three grams of sodium chloride static in the bottom of the beaker.

A material of higher solubility will drive more the Na and Cl out of solution; a material of lesser solubility will also drive the Na and Cl out of solution, but more slowly.

For example KI solubility is 140 g/l H2o; NaCl solubility is 35.9 g/ 0.1 l. Even if you add the KI to a saturated solution of NaCl, eventually you will have a solution with K, I, Na, & Cl ions, and KI, NaCl, KCl, and NaI precipitate.

Generally speaking, as long as there is no common ion effect, salts dissolve independently. The same holds if you try to add other substance to the solutions (glucose, sacharose).

However, it doesn't hold for the highly concentrated solutions.

So, imagine you have two substances, both of solubility in the range of 1 g/L. If there is no common ions effect, fact the the solution was saturated with the first substance will not change the solubility of the other.

If both substances have solubility in the range of 500g/L, saturating solution with the first substance will lower solubility of the second.

Best,

Borek

--

Chemical calculators at www.chembuddy.com

pH calculator

concentration conversion