Organic Chemistry - How to remember?!!

spudpeel

Currently studying A2 level chemistry and plan to take it further, but my only trouble is Organic Chemistry. I mean, the mechanisms seem simple enough but the vast volume of things to remember!!! :eek:

Has anyone got any tips on how to memorise all the reagents and conditions for various reactions? I know im not the only one to struggle with memorising the stuff, just wondered how people have got around it?

Make flash cards of important reactions. On one side write the starting material and reagent, so that you need to guess the product. On the other side, write the starting material and product, but leave the reagents blank so you have to guess at them. Reviewing these periodically will help you remember the reactions.

Currently studying A2 level chemistry and plan to take it further' date=' but my only trouble is Organic Chemistry. I mean, the mechanisms seem simple enough but the vast volume of things to remember!!! :eek:

Has anyone got any tips on how to memorise all the reagents and conditions for various reactions? I know im not the only one to struggle with memorising the stuff, just wondered how people have got around it?[/quote']

I'd personally do as Yggdrasil suggested.

Some people learn best by recrding the things down and then listening to them over and over while they sleep, does not work for me.

Some people write the things down over and over and experiemtn with them - this does not work with me either.

Personally I remember things first time or I will never remember them, that just the way it is :)

I'm in AS 1 and its a big jump from GCSE but I've managed with simple memory tricks, rhymes and things :)

Hope that helps,

Ryan Jones