Determining the Amplitude of Photons

CarlD

Here I am back again hoping for constructive feedback. I took criticism from the last post to heart, so this article is a little heavier on the math side. Enjoy!

The article assumes photons are responsible for gravity in lighter objects like the sun (while in
heavier objects, gravity waves or other mechanisms take over that role). The idea is losely based
on an unsuccessful unified field theory which tried to combine electromagnetism with gravitation,
but was too complicated (5 dimensional fields and such).

It instead is based on the assumption (inspired by Maxwell) that all fields are (caused by) waves (or particles) moving around and that photons don't have electric or magnetic properties but rather just distort spacetime with their amplitudes, causing a curvature of spacetime. Gravitational, magnetic, electrical and other large scale effects are therefore caused indirectly by photons (and other waves/particles), through their amplitudes and the distortions of spacetime they cause, sometimes modified by interference and/or resonance (magnetism), circular movements (charge) and other emergent properties.

The calculations are a rough sketch and still require lots of improvement. But if I didn't make a
serious mistake, the results should be roughly in the correct order of magnitude.

Improvement over current thinking is, among many others, that it explains why light is affected by
gravity but not so much by magnetism (as far as I know).

Following is the calculation of the amplitude of photons from observed bending of light by the sun.

Curvature

A(AU) = 4 * G * M / r / c^2 (Change in direction due to gravity, according to MS Chat)
= 3.948E-8 m / s
G = 6.674E-11 N * m^2 / kg^2
M(sun) = 1.9885E30 kg
r(AU) = 1.496E11 m
c = 299792458 m / s

Energy

P(AU) = 1360 J / s (W) (Photons per square meter and second at 1 AU from the sun)

Photons

N(PPh) = E * P / h / f (According to MS Chat)
= 1.8E19 Ph / Watt (approximation for assumed average frequency of 5E14 Hz)*
N(sAU) = 2.448E22 / s (Photons per second at 1 AU)
E(ph) = 3.31E-19 J (According to MS Chat)

* Could be refined with the integral of all emissions at Energy / frequency, incl. neutrinos

Conclusion

D(Ph) = A(AU) / N(sAU) m
= 1.613E-30 m

One photon lengthens space enough to move things sideways by ~1.613E-30 m

A(PH) = D(Ph) / Pi / 2

= 2.567E-31 m

W(Ph) = c / f m
= 299792458 / 5E14 m
= 5.9958492E-7m

A photon of frequency 5E14 Hz or wavelength 6E-7 m has an effective amplitude of 2.567E-31 m.

I presume that this is also it's real amplitude, or at least in a similar order of magnitude, but that
remains to be shown conclusively.

This means, individual photons are extremely flat. It fits well with the fact that light can be polarized. It also puts a hard limit on how fine a polarized grid can be before light will be strongly distorted by it.

Updates on jam.free.nf/amplitude.htm

Researched with the help of MS Chat and Bing.

Edited by CarlD
typo

I already found a mistake. The formula for amplitude does not subtract the length if space was not curved, acting as if the whole photon affected curvature, not just the difference to uncurved space. The real amplitude is thus much higher. You can find the correct value and calculation under above link.