Organkc chemistry help

mcstroom

I'am struggling to find videos on youtube that explain how to solve chemical equations with organic compounds in them. What skills do I need to know to awnser thses type of questions. T

The assighment summed in a few questions: 

-pentanoic acid + Na2CO3

-methylethyl propanoate + NaOH.

-Butanol + propanoyl chloride

-Butyl amine + propanoic anhydride.

-2-bromobutane + dilute aqueous sodium hydroxide solution/hot concentrated ethanoic potassium hydroxide solution/excess ammonia

-butan-1-ol + H2SO4/K2Cr207/

distilling off the product/

H2SO4 /K2Cr2O7 refluxing/

Tollen's reagent with heating.

2 hours ago, mcstroom said:

I'am struggling to find videos on youtube that explain how to solve chemical equations with organic compounds in them. What skills do I need to know to awnser thses type of questions. T

The assighment summed in a few questions: 

-pentanoic acid + Na2CO3

-methylethyl propanoate + NaOH.

-Butanol + propanoyl chloride

-Butyl amine + propanoic anhydride.

-2-bromobutane + dilute aqueous sodium hydroxide solution/hot concentrated ethanoic potassium hydroxide solution/excess ammonia

-butan-1-ol + H2SO4/K2Cr207/

distilling off the product/

H2SO4 /K2Cr2O7 refluxing/

Tollen's reagent with heating.

Opening a book, or at least looking up pages on the web,  rather than wasting time on videos, would be a good start. Videos are a terrible way to try to learn almost anything and this certainly applies to organic chemistry.

To start with, have you found the chemical formulae for these organic compounds?

55 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Opening a book, or at least looking up pages on the web,  rather than wasting time on videos, would be a good start. Videos are a terrible way to try to learn almost anything and this certainly applies to organic chemistry.

To start with, have you found the chemical formulae for these organic compounds?

No I haven't.  I know how to write down the chemical formulae down for alcohols acids etc when they are on there own but when it comes to 2 word esters like methyl ethanoate and proanyl chloride then I don't know.

54 minutes ago, exchemist said:

54 minutes ago, exchemist said:

9 minutes ago, mcstroom said:

No I haven't.  I know how to write down the chemical formulae down for alcohols acids etc when they are on there own but when it comes to 2 word esters like methyl ethanoate and proanyl chloride then I don't know.

Then look them up on the internet. Type in each one and see what you get. I think you will get an informative answer for most if not all of them. 

From the sound of it, you may need to look also at the IUPAC system of nomenclature. Here is one teaching link for students on the topic: https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Sacramento_City_College/SCC%3A_Chem_420_-_Organic_Chemistry_I/Text/03%3A_Functional_Groups_and_Nomenclature/3.02%3A_Overview_of_the_IUPAC_Naming_Strategy

As a general comment, I think these LibreTexts are not bad. You can learn (or in my case revise, as it is almost 50 years since I sat my chemistry Finals) quite easily from these I think.  

55 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Then look them up on the internet. Type in each one and see what you get. I think you will get an informative answer for most if not all of them. 

From the sound of it, you may need to look also at the IUPAC system of nomenclature. Here is one teaching link for students on the topic: https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Sacramento_City_College/SCC%3A_Chem_420_-_Organic_Chemistry_I/Text/03%3A_Functional_Groups_and_Nomenclature/3.02%3A_Overview_of_the_IUPAC_Naming_Strategy

As a general comment, I think these LibreTexts are not bad. You can learn (or in my case revise, as it is almost 50 years since I sat my chemistry Finals) quite easily from these I think.  

Thanks for the help , I appreciate it 

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, exchemist said:

Commercial link removed by moderator

On 12/23/2023 at 7:30 AM, exchemist said:

Get that watching YouTube vids is like the last thing to count on. Been there, got burned, and now I'm all about advising peeps to hit the books first, dig in, get the gist, and only then roll with the vids. Quick add-on, peeps in college are all hyped about AI, thinking it's the golden ticket. 

Edited by Phi for All
Commercial link removed from quote - no advertising!

1 hour ago, Zakher said:

Get that watching YouTube vids is like the last thing to count on. Been there, got burned, and now I'm all about advising peeps to hit the books first, dig in, get the gist, and only then roll with the vids. Quick add-on, peeps in college are all hyped about AI, thinking it's the golden ticket. 

You said I said:
   On 12/23/2023 at 3:45 PM,  exchemist said: 

From the sound of it, you may need to look also at the IUPAC system of nomenclature. Here is one teaching link for students on the topic: https://chem.libretexts.org/Courses/Sacramento_City_College/SCC%3A_Chem_420_-_Organic_Chemistry_I/Text/03%3A_Functional_Groups_and_Nomenclature/3.02%3A_Overview_of_the_IUPAC_Naming_Strategy

Don`t forget about self-chek. Once you grasp the topic and complete the task, be sure to cross-refence with prepared answers. You can use this [spammy link] platform to get efficient academic help. I always use it and it has never let me down.

Expand  

UNQUOTE

Would you mind not corrupting the text of my posts, when you quote them, with spammy links? Thanks.

Reported for spamming. 

Edited by exchemist