Alternatives to DNA for supporting life?

gib65

I was thinking about this the other day and I wonder what other people think.

So far, the only life we've encountered is that which is based on DNA. But DNA is just a melocular structure. Why could there not be other molecular structures, similar in complexity and reproductability, that end up supporting macroscopic structures that exhibit complex and intellegent interactions with their environment such that they mimic life as we know it? These molecular structures need not be possible here on Earth, but supposing they could form on other planets with a completely different environment (which might not be habitable by DNA based lifeforms), such planets could host "life" and we wouldn't even know to look for it there.

What do others think?

I think that the possibilities that other forms of genetic material exist are very good. RNA acts as a form of genetic storage for viruses, as well as single stranded DNA. It's entirely possible that some other form of genetic material could work equally as well or better than DNA and RNA. I think the fact that all life on earth uses DNA is more do to chance, common decent, and fixation than it being the best option.

We know that common living thing storing their genetic information by using the form of DNA and some virus make use of RNA for storage. In my opinion, it's possible that other genetic materials carrier exist or can be existed, but it's better for us to understand all the interactions between present genetic material, DNA, first. It's because there may be some common properties between different genetic material, if we can understyand this point very well, it may help us to help any other genetic material or make us easier to develop another form of genetic information-carrying material.