What do I call this gene?

bengkulu

What do you call a gene that is inherited in a dominant fashion but by only 50% of the F1's. 50% of the F1's will express the dominant trait and 50% will be of wild type. The 50% that are of wild type do not carry the gene and have proved to NOT be heterozygous for this gene. I can't call it a true dominant...so, what do I call this gene?

NOTE: When this dominant phenotype is bred to another dominant phenotype all offspring express the dominant gene phenotype. When the dominant gene phenotype is bred to wild type 50% express the gene and 50% are wild type and are NOT hets for this gene.

I have never ran into this type of gene and don't know what it is called.

it sounds as if you might be talking about hetrologouse-fatal alleles, ie the allele distribution in the offspring would be:

AA, Aa, Aa, aa

ie, your standard 25:50:25 AA:Aa:aa ratio between a dominant and a resessive allele; but then the hetz would die, leaving this:

AA, Aa, Aa, aa

hense 50:50 AA:aa ratio in the surviving offspring.

although, iv never heard of hetrologouse-fatal alleles. (homologouse-fatal alleles, yes; but not hetrologouse).