Resistivity of Nichromes

yellowputty

For GCSE? Double Science?

OK, so what you are looking is resistivity of nichromes.

So what's a nichrome? It is an alloy or mix of nickel (hence the ni) and chromium (hence the chrome). A quick google search reveals that "typically, the alloy is 80% nickel and 20% chromium".

And resistivity, what's that, well it's a fairly safe assumption to say that you are talking about electrical resistivity... this is, well, you know that some things have a big resistance and some things have a low resistance (we are talking about electrical resistance here) so that's what resistivity is.

You are doing a project on the electrical resistance that nichrome has.

Nichrome does have interesting electrical properties and is found a lot in every day life due to these... when you've done your experiments and have results I can tell you more!

Thank you very much for taking your time to help. Yes I am doing double award science, and at the higher end of the spectrum. This is exactly what I was looking for. I shall post some results when completed, along with what experiment I am actually doing.

Thanks again.

No problem. When I did Double Science I found (along with the majority from my school) that doing well in the coursework is very important as far as getting the A* at the end if concerned.

You say "higher end of the spectrum" so I assume you are realistically aiming high, in which case the... one sec, are you doing the modular course? If you are then you'll find the 12 module tests quite easy (still work for them, it'd be stupid to lose the easy marks) and the final is the final, the coursework is worth making an extra effort for.

If I remember right I got something like a 28/30 & 26/30 or something like that for the 2 courseworks, incedentally I ended up with the highest A* in my school, still, that 26/30 for the coursework could/should have been better, but then in that class with that teacher nobody did very well, I think my mark was the 2nd highest in the class or something, still... the point is you need to do well and it is easy to lose the 8th mark or 6th mark depending on which section, so put in some effort!

As for your experiment, I know what the general trend will be, but numbers & stats will be interesting so please do post them (don't post your whole c/work online though!)