Properties of Ammonium sulphate

Seymour

it contains the nitrogen and trace sulpher that a plant needs, we also use it as a compost accelerant too.

adding calcium oxide (garden lime) will form calcium sulphate and ammonia gas, the gas would then be largely wasted and calcium sulphate isn`t particularly usefull either as it alters the soils condition.

as for adding it dry, that`s the 1`st I`ve ever heard of it, we use it as a soln only. the only time its ever used dry is as a layer in a compost heap.

as for adding it dry, that`s the 1`st I`ve ever heard of it, we use it as a soln only. the only time its ever used dry is as a layer in a compost heap.

That's funny to read. Over here we buy it in 5 kg or 25 kg amounts, almost 100% pure as 'zwavelzure ammoniak', which means something like 'ammonia of sulphuric acid'. It is in the form of small-pea-sized pellets, which are used dry. I've never seen this being sold as a solution. So, this differs from country to country.

Ammonium sulphate is a white crystalline salt but sometimes, it might have a grey, brown, red or yellow tint, which has no effect on its nutrient value. It is soluble in water and nitrogen in this fertilizer is readily available to crops. This fertilizer has an acidifying effect, therefore, its continuous use may be advantageous on alkaline soils.

the stuff I have is like light brown sugar or really coarse sand, I`m not sure why though, I expect it`s probably added to it as a way to identify it from other fertilisers perhaps?

for instance gro-more and certain brands of nitro-chalk look almost identical, so we keep those on different shelves in the shop, and only bag up one type at a time.

adding calcium oxide (garden lime) will form calcium sulphate and ammonia gas,

I wanna ensure something in my mind.

In practice, the reaction between the two substance is a neutralization. And it is that this process make the decomposition of ammonium ion into ammonia become more favourable,the neutralization process indirectly produce more gas, right?

Why reaction Ca(OH)2 + (NH4)2SO4 goes to direction of producing ammonia? Part of gaseous ammonia will left reaction area as soon as it is produced and so reaction in bacward direction can not go very effectively. There is no equilibrum before all ammonia is left. This principle applies to any reaction where one of products is in gaseous state.