Re-infection with Pertussis?

Celeste22

I was diagnosed with Pertussis several weeks ago after a coughing fit left me with 3 fractured ribs. I can't seem to find many research-based articles about the possiblity of re-infection during the long drawn out course of the disease. BTW, I'm going on week 10 since I was infected. My dad is at week 12.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MetaFrizzics, Thank you. I had not found a few of those you listed.

My main worry right now is the length of time I've had this. I started getting better a few weeks ago with my coughing fits slowing down to about 6 times a day, but now they have increased in intensity again. I feel like I'm starting all over again and wonder if I'm re-infecting myself. My doctors haven't felt that antibiotics were necessary this late in the game, but if re-infection was indeed possible, wouldn't they help??!!

Questions I have; Do we build up immunity to the Bordetella bacteria if we contract it as adults? or is immunization the only way? How long does the Bordetella pertussis bacteria survive outside of the body? (ie, coughing while sleeping, bacteria on bedding)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I have some (personal) questions which you should ask yourself. (you don't need to tell me, or post them on the net)

(1) Do you have any dirty animals like dogs/cats living in your house? If so, you should really get rid of them no matter how much you think you love them or how cute you think they are. These animals are scavengers and vectors for many diseases which not only make them likely sources for re-infection, but provide additional burdens upon your own immune system, which is obviously under attack. Its you or them, honey. See if you can get your family to understand this.

(2) A key component in any effort to get well lies in going on a strict vegetarian diet that includes all the key food groups such as a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, legumes (peas, corn, beans, potatoes, tomatoes), nuts of all kinds, and a wide selection of whole grains. VARIETY is the single most important idea here, as well as proper washing and cooking of food.

(3) Just as important is what you DON'T eat: meats of all kinds, especially avoid pork and cured meat products, like bacon and corned beef, which are laced with NITRATEs and when cooked form carcenogenic NITRITES. Also avoid meat because it is a vector for all kinds of parasites and diseases which are dangerous like trichinosis and Mad Cow disease. Avoid FRIED FOODS entirely. Steam all your vegetables to keep them crispy, delicious and nutritious.

(4) SUPPLIMENT your vitamin intake from fresh food with B-complexes and vitamin E and C, and drink lots of fruit and vegetable juices. No modern diet today can guarantee you are getting every essential or beneficial vitamin and mineral, and so this cannot be used as an argument for or against a certain diet generally. Make sure you suppliment any diet with extra vitamins.

(5) Drink copious amounts of clean water if possible, and boil or filter water if possible.

(6) Probably just as critical in this case when you have at least two infected people already living inside your house is ADEQUATE ventilation (fresh air) constantly to transport germs out of the house. Leave the windows open as much as possible.

(7) Also critically important to prevent constant re-infection is a vigorous schedule of washing hands and faces, all surfaces people are touching, and bedsheets and washrooms, especially pillow-cases. Pillows when not used during the day can be left in the sunlight to sterilize them using UV rays, and dry them out.

(8) People who are sick should not be preparing food. This may be impossible to carry out in your case, but in any case every precaution should be taken to kill germs on all surfaces, avoid breathing on or handling food, and cook all meals thoroughly, using adequate ventilation.