SOS!! My router's user interface cannot be acessed...

albertlee

I have just bought a wireless router of brand Belkin, model #: F5D7231-4.

It was working OK, when I set it up alright.

However, a catastrophe happens when I was trying every function of it with the manual.

In the webbased user interface, I enabled the so called Access Point Mode, which requires fields to enter, the Specific IP Adress and the Subnet Mask.

I thought it was to set a wireless access point sort of thing so I can access to the Internet wirelessly via a laptop, but after reading the manual, I finally realised it is to do "bridge" sort of thing.

TO give you an idea, below is the phrase from the manual:

Note: The Router can be configured to work as a wireless network access point. Using this model will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature and DHCP server. In Access Point Mode, the Router will need to be configured with an IP address that is in the same subnetas the rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP adress is 192.168.2.254 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. These can be customised for your need.

and particularly, the last step of enabling the Access Point Mode:

...3: Connect a cable from the WAN port (which is a socket on the router normally connecting to the Internet with a plug) on the Router to your existing network.

Ok, the real problem is: I cannot access to my webbased User Interface again.

When I check the IP of my computer, using ipconfig, all the fields are shown: 0.0.0.0 indicating acutally no connection to an existed network.

usually, the default gateway is: 192.168.2.1, seen from the ipconfig command, which is also an adress to access the webbased user interface for the router via a browser.

Please help!!

thanks

The problem appears to be that your computer was getting its IP address from the DHCP server on the router. If you manually configure an IP address to something like 192.168.2.x (where X is some number OTHER than 1 but still between 0 and 256, noninclusive) then you should be able to see it again.

Ok, this is what I did not tell,

I set the specific IP adress via the UI using the browser to 192.168.2.4, and I used the default subnet mask, when I was setting up the Access Point Mode.

I have tried your way, Pangloss, but it does not work.

I manually, on my computer, set up the TCPIP protocol not to search for an IP, but to use the assigned one.

I did this:

Ip adress: 192.168.2.4

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

and it did not work, as I just said.

Please, any more help??

thanks

I haven't read all of the 1st first post because I'm in a rush but try letting your router tell the computer the IP addy and also my subnet is 255.0.0.0 it doesn't have to be (255.255 etc) because I tried that on mine and it didn't work.

If you've tried this or it's irrelevant then ignore me, I'll read it properly later!

5614, what do you mean try letting the router to tell my PC the IP??

If I set my computer to automatically receive IP, then the fields shown from ipcondig are always 0.0.0.0. from the router. This is why I cannot access the webbased UI.

btw, it is your subnet that is 255.255.255.0.

Interestingly, do you use a router that makes you have to assign the IP and subnet manually??

please help

what do you mean try letting the router to tell my PC the IP??

There's an option for "Obtain an IP address automatically"

it is your subnet that is 255.255.255.0.

My subnet is 255.0.0.0 I tried using the standard 255.255.255.0 but it didn't work, now my subnet is 255.0.0.0

do you use a router that makes you have to assign the IP and subnet manually??
No... my router assigns everything itself.

Have you tried simply disabling Access Point Mode?

Have you tried simply disabling Access Point Mode?

And if you can't then like danny said "Restore Settings" or what I do is reboot the router without saving settings, this can be done by a little reset button on the router itself or from the router config page.