Any Soil Scientists Out There?

Andrew H

Hello, thank you for your interest in helping.

1.  How would I determine the quantity of KS04 to add to 5 pounds of clay with a CEC of 100 meq./100g in order to provided double the potassium ions in solution as there exchanges sites. I want to saturate a clay sample with potassium? Are there any tricks to getting ions moving other than adding more ions or creating movement in the water like using specific salts of potassium or maybe a third wheel ion like Na that would add to the pressure I am trying to push out the exchangeable aluminum from the clay before I use them in an aquarium soil where it could cause problems for a long time. 

2. How do I use the ion exchange reaction models like the Beckett - Q/I Relationships to predict K, Ca, and Mg ions interactions in solution? I have some basic chemistry knowledge but skipping from what I am familiar with and remember from ten years ago to what some of those models are designed to do is a massive leap for me. I understand the concepts of thermodynamics and equilibrium but I am not up to speed with the nomenclature and I thought I would ask here to see if anyone can help me learn to use these ion exchange models by myself. 

I appreciate your time.

Thank You