Improving scientific writing skills

greeko

Hi everyone !

I started research at university this year in the field of chemistry, and especially organic chemistry. I'm fluent in english (french is my main language) and I have no problem to communicate my results and problems with the staff. However, writing papers is another thing and I noticed a lack of skills for building nice-looking but efficient sentences. 

Do you have any resource for self-learning and improving the writing skills for the scientific field (no need to learn how to write poems) ?

Thanks a lot and have a good day !

Edited by greeko

I have done technical writing on some papers, reports and and for scientific products. Though not intended for strictly scientific purposes, I found this little booklet to be a gem. I think anyone engaged in any kind of writing would benefit from having a copy. I have not found there to be any big difference in writing for science than writing for any other factual (non-fiction) content. Since you are writing the paper, you presumably know more about the scientific content and methods than most readers so the main goal is simply to be clear, concise and accurate.

I remember one paper I reviewed that ended up being rejected because of the writing. It was embarrassing to read because, though the research being reported might have been novel and interesting, the writing was so awkward and confusing that it was impossible to tell. 

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk-Jr/dp/194564401X

Edited by Cynic

On 1/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, Cynic said:

I have done technical writing on some papers, reports and and for scientific products. Though not intended for strictly scientific purposes, I found this little booklet to be a gem. I think anyone engaged in any kind of writing would benefit from having a copy. I have not found there to be any big difference in writing for science than writing for any other factual (non-fiction) content. Since you are writing the paper, you presumably know more about the scientific content and methods than most readers so the main goal is simply to be clear, concise and accurate.

I remember one paper I reviewed that ended up being rejected because of the writing. It was embarrassing to read because, though the research being reported might have been novel and interesting, the writing was so awkward and confusing that it was impossible to tell. 

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk-Jr/dp/194564401X

I'll give a try, worth the price. Thanks and have a good day !