Bio Club - Vibrio fischeri Halloween Idea?

atcggcta

Hello!

So, this is my first time posting here. I hope this is a valid question for this forum.

I'm the president of an undergraduate Bio club at a university. We are trying to come up with ideas for a Halloween event and I got to thinking about bioluminescent bacteria. I have heard about an artist who used Vibrio fischeri to make bioluminescent paintings on an agar medium. My question is, could this be done on a pumpkin: Jack-o-lantern style? My idea is to (after hollowing and carving) create wells within the jack-o-lantern along the base of the eyes, nose, and mouth. Within the wells we will place an agar for growing Vibrio fischeri. we can also place an agar plate (or two) inside the pumpkin. We will then inoculate Vibrio fischeri onto the agar and, fingers crossed, watch it glow the next day. However, I have very little experience with bioluminescent bacteria! Do you microbiology experts think there would be a strong enough glow within the pumpkin to even be visible?

Sorry for any ignorance I may be showing here... I have never worked with, or even seen bioluminescent bacteria. My focus is in bioinformatics, :) and even there I am a beginner.

Thanks in advance for the answers!