Preparing parts per million solutions of chemicals

Rare_Plant_Guy

I'd appreciate help on how to prepare chemical solutions (with distilled water) at specific ppm

In this case, I need to make two different solutions, each with a different chemical, but I need them to be the same ppm

1. Sodium hypochlorite ("Bleach") I am starting with an existing solution with 7.86% available NaOCl
2. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate (NaDCC) - I don’t have any yet and am not sure the best source.

I need both to be a 5000 ppm solution in distilled water. The 5000 ppm should be "available chlorine"

Questions:

1. Can 7.86% bleach solution be used in the calculations to figure out how to get 5000 ppm, or do I need some other data about the existing bleach solution to figure out the ppm?
  2. I think NaDCC comes in tab or pellet form. I’m not sure if those forms would be 100% of the chemical, or have a % available of the chemical in each...or how that really applies in my case. What info would I need about the NaDCC in order to figure out my calculation? Would the data probably be in an MSDS or on the container?
  3. What’s the best way to figure out ppm for each chemical in this case?
  4. What equipment / tools will I need?
  5. Is ppm of a solution a % of volume, or does it have to do with weight, or potency, or?
  6. I’m curious if there is any way to test for the ppm of the solutions I make to confirm the accuracy

Any other info, tips, instructions, etc would be greatly appreciated

For context, this will be for an experiment with these solutions being biocides in horticultural conditions

Thank you so much in advance for your help

Edited by Rare_Plant_Guy