Dual Processors

Sayonara

I'm running 3DS Max 5 and Maya 5, and I'm curious to know if home dual processor systems are really worth the extra cash.

I'd heard they only increase rendering speed by a small amount and it's cheaper - at home - to just buy a better processor.

Anybody had experience with this?

Depending on how serious you are about animation, it'd be a wise move to purchase a video card specifically designed for a graphics-intensive machine (they're anywhere from 800$-2400$ US). Anyways, running two processors does speed up process execution time quite a bit. Once you get into heavy animations sitting around with a P2.4 or an A2600+ won't get you anywhere at a decent rate. When i had my dual mp 2000's on a tyan board, max4 seemed to run a lot faster than when i had it on my 3200+ (i overclock things, a wee bit). Anyways, thats just my expierence with the whole set up... i'd run over to tomshardware.com and check out benchmarks and what not for further backing.

Guest Mr Blonde

Another way of getting the performance of dual processors with out the cost is getting a processor which supports hyperthreading (p4 3.06 ghz in conjunction with rdram does more will in the future) which fakes having 2 processors and is practically as good and much cheaper :) - on the downside both hyperthreading and dual processors only work if the application support it