n-spheres.

BigMoosie

Does it make sense to say that two points is a zero-sphere?

I read that an n-spehere is the structure made from all the points being exactly the same radius from a single point in (n+1) dimensions (thats of the top of my head). But also shouldnt the resulting structure be of n-dimensions itself? I'm not sure whether two points would be called 0 dimensional would it?

Also, could one visualise a 3-sphere (picturing it with 3 spatial dimensions and the fourth as time) as a point that grows to a sphere and then shrinks back down?

Does it make sense to say that two points is a zero-sphere?

Yes, it does. A countable set of points is said to have dimension 0.

I read that an n-spehere is the structure made from all the points being exactly the same radius from a single point in (n+1) dimensions (thats of the top of my head). But also shouldnt the resulting structure be of n-dimensions itself? I'm not sure whether two points would be called 0 dimensional would it?

An n-sphere indeed is a (curved) n-dimensional space of finite n-volume. For 1-dimensional spaces (a circle), the 1-volume is the length of the circle, for 2-dimensional spaces (an ordinary sphere, the surface of a ball), the 2-volume is the surface of the sphere, etc. The n-volume of an n-sphere is proportional to r^n, with r being the radius of the n-sphere, e.g. the 1-volume of a circle is 2*pi*r, the surface of a sphere equals 4*pi*r^2. For a 0-sphere, the 0-volume does not depend on the radius, it can be written as k*r^0, being a constant k.

Also, could one visualise a 3-sphere (picturing it with 3 spatial dimensions and the fourth as time) as a point that grows to a sphere and then shrinks back down?

A three-sphere has nothing to do with time. It simply is a geometrical object. A nice way to visualize a 3-sphere is the following: Suppose you are on the sphere floating around in space (this is imaginable, because you are 3D as well I hope :D ) and start moving forward. If you keep on moving forward in a "straight line" in the same direction, then you'll eventually reach your original position again. :eek:

If you cannot imagine this, then think of the analogon of a 2-sphere with you being on the surface (of e.g. a planet). If you walk to a certain direction and you keep on moving, then you'll end up at your initial position again.

I place the words "straight line" between quotes, because of the fact, that such thing not really exists on a sphere. A sphere is not an euclidian space, although locally it approaches an n-dimensional euclidian space. In curved spaces, the concept of straight line must be replaced by the more general concept of "geodesic". Google is your friend on this subject.

That is interesting about ending up where you start from, I see what you mean. But I am trying to visualise the sphere still.

If a hyper-plane was cutting the 3-sphere slowly from one end to the other. Me being in the hyper-plane would see a regular sphere appear, grow and then reach a maximum and shrink back down into a point?

That is interesting about ending up where you start from' date=' I see what you mean. But I am trying to visualise the sphere still.

If a hyper-plane was cutting the 3-sphere slowly from one end to the other. Me being in the hyper-plane would see a regular sphere appear, grow and then reach a maximum and shrink back down into a point?[/quote']

Yes, you would see a regular sphere (hollow ball) appearing out of 'nothing', growing, shrinking back and disappearing again.