pretty vectorial :D

kingjewel1

Hi guys

I'm on my vectors again.

Last time you really helped me understand what i was doing!

Refered to a fixed origin A=(5i-j-k) B=(i-5j+7k)

Find the position vector of the point D, where Dis not A on AB such that

|OD|=|OA|

i did

OD= xi+yj+zk

from r=a+t(B-A)

x=5-4t

y=-1-4t

z=-1+8t

|AD|^2=(x-5)^2+(y+1)^2+(z+1)^2

|AD|^2=(5-4t-5)^2+(-1-4t+1)^2+(-1+8t+1)^2

d(|AD|^2)/dt=(32+32+128)t

am i using the right method?

i also did Cos(OAOD) but got silly decimals. for the vector eq.

Thanks in advance!

Starting to write down the equation for the line that D lies on (your r = A + t(B-A)) is a good start. But why you then proceed with calculating anything on |AD| is completely unclear to me.

Unless you made a typo somewhere, it´s |OD| = |OA| that you have as 2nd condition to fix the point D, not a condition involving |AD|. The straightforward solution is to start from |OD| = |OA|. |OA| is known because you know the coordinates of A, |OD| can be expressed by the line r(t) you allready got. Solve for t. You´ll get two possible results for t. One will be such that r(t)=A which was excluded in the question. The other one is the one you´re looking for, then.

As a hint here: As distances are allways positive, the condition |OA|² = |OD|² is the same as |OA| = |OD| and eleminates the annoying sqare root.

Differentiation (what you did) is often used to find extremal values (the differential is zero, then). So if you use d(|AD|²)/dt = 0 and solve it, you find the point D that closest to A. Not much of a surprise that you´d get t=0 and the point closest to A would be A itself. But that´s not what is asked for.

There´s an alternative way to solve the question which is quite elegant in my opinion but needs a bit of understanding of vector math and might be a bit more work to actually do. But since it might help you understand the problem and you might also find it interesting, I´ll sketch it here:

Given an abritrary vector k, any vector v can be split up into a part parallel to k and a part perpendicular to k in a unique way. In your case, you could split up the vector a which is the coordinates of A into a part a_par parallel to the line through AB and a part a_perp which is perpendicular to that line. a_perp will hit the line at a point P. This is the point on the line which is closest to the origin. If you add a_par to that point, you´ll end up on point A, of course. But if you substract a_par from there, you´ll end up on another point which has the same distance from the origin as A (because |a_perp|² + |a_par|² = |a_perp|² + |-a_par|² <-- phytagoras). As a_par is parallel to the line so is -a_par. The point you got by D = a_perp - a_par is the one you´re looking for.

This method is probably best understood if you draw it on a piece of paper, so you might do that after you solved the question the straightforward way proposed above using the correct coordinates, then.

Thank you very much Atheist. It helped me greatly.

so i did

[math]|OA|=sqrt(5^2+1^2+1^2)[/math]

since |OD|=|OA|

from above x,y,z

[math]|OD|^2=(x-5)^2+(y+1)^2+(z+1)^2[/math]

[math]27=16t^2+16t^2+64t^2[/math]

[math]t=sqrt(9/32)[/math]

[math]5-4t=2.87[/math]

[math]-1-4t=-3.12[/math]

[math]-1+8t=3.24[/math]

so therefore [math]d=3i-3j+3k[/math]

i must have made a mistake because i didn't think they were supposed to be decimals :S

Your second method is interesting. i'll post my workings.

Cheers

If you have a point P=(x, y, z) then it´s squared distance from the origin is x²+y²+z². Whether these x,y,z depend on another parameter t or doesn´t matter. So why did you use "|OD|² = (x-5)² + (y+1)² + (z+1)²" instead of "|OD|² = x²+y²+z²" ?

The rest of your math seems ok, so try it again with |OD|² = x²+y²+z².

Yes my mistake, i took the equation from |AD|

i should have done

[math]x=5-4t[/math]

[math]y=-1-4t[/math]

[math]z=-1-8t[/math]

this gives me t=1/2 ^t=0

thanks

For the next method,

I used [math]A (5i-j-k) B(i-5j+7k)[/math]

// a_par to AB

[math]r=5i-j-k+t(i-5j+7k)[/math]

a_perp

A.(x,y,z)=0

B.(x,y,z)=0

if z=1

then

[math]r=1/2i+2/3j+k[/math]

would these be correct?

if sqrt27=a_perp-a_par how do i solve if r is in terms of t?

Not much time to answer right now since I have to go to work (damn, I´m allready quite late). But I drew a sketch for you that you might like. I´ll check back here later this evening.