GAMS vs Matlab/Modelica

lenilein78

Dear All,

I'm in the process of choosing a modeling environment for my project and would be extremly thankful to get your feedback on this:

my task is to perform global optimizations (probably MINLP) on industrial energy systems including electricity/heat storage options and renewable energy modules.

After some research on the different available tools my thoughts are followings:

- Modelica and Matlab provide really good model librarys: for example Modelica offers the libraries TechThermo for energy storage systems, WindPowerPlants for Wind Turbines, ElectricalEnergyStorage, PhotoVoltaics

- the current best optimization software is available under GAMS modeling language (CPLEX, Baron, etc);

My preference would be to use GAMS as with this language, models are described in algebraic statements.

However I found very few models in the GAMS Model Library that could help me for my work and they seem to deal with entire systems (like for example Simultaneous Optimization for Hen Synthesis). Consequently the work volume might be a lot higher than if I use Matlab or Modelica.

Am I missing something?

Does any of you have experience with non linear programming using one of these tools and the related optimization solvers?

Do you have any suggestions?

Warm regards