Path To Astrophysics

Kalcifer

Hi!

I'm new the aspect of university and my future in almost every possible sense, as I'm going into my First year in Electrical Engineering. Throughout my life I have always held a love and fascination for space and the universe and only recently discovered astrophysics as a possible career choice; however, as I previously stated, I am already going into Electrical Engineering. Since both subjects (Astrophysics and Engineering) carry an immense reliance on physics i wasn't sure if I should rethink my schooling and opt for a degree in Physics then proceed Astrophysics, or keep my degree in Electrical Engineering as a sort of safety net and area for experience and use the courses in mathematics and physics from that to help me on my road to Astrophysics. In my future I hope to get a job at Nasa or in research and I feel that having a background in both Astrophysics and Electrical Engineering could dramatically help my chances.

Thanks!

I appreciate any and all feedback!

I know people who did electronic engineering for their first degree and then went into physics later - for example Brian Cox. I also know a string theorist who started in electronic engineering. So it is possible and electronic engineering is vital in experimental physics.

You'll probably have to do more math and physics with astrophysics than EE. Electrical Engineering classes nowadays mostly are half or less Computing Engineering degrees. Yes, having both would be cool, but I would switch to astrophysics if your love is astrophysics. There is nothing that prevents you from continuing your education once you finish university. I also think you might change your mind again when you get exposed to more ideas.